Monday, June 6, 2011

Getting dissatisfied with life. I'm contemplating a major change, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Help?

Ok, well... I'm 22 and I'm currently studying an MBA. Before the MBA, I did a Bachelor of Business (International Business) degree, and prior to that I did a Advance Diploma of Business (International Trade) straight out of high school.



I'm doing my third business qualification, and the thing is... I don't want to start businesses, nor do I have any strong desire to work in the commerce industry. I have NO passion for what I do. I don't even care about money, I just want enough to live comfortably.



I'll probably end up working in the commerce industry... even though I'm not sure if I want to (people in the real world back-stab each other and play politics), I don't think I have a choice.. I've only ever worked for money for two weeks my in whole life, I'm terrible at sports, I don't know how to play a musical instrument. For the past 17 years of my life, it's just been study, study, study.



I only have one direction in my life, but I'm reluctant to pursue it.



I need advice. How do I go about soul-searching? How do I find out what I'm really good at, and passionate about in life?Getting dissatisfied with life. I'm contemplating a major change, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Help?
First off, you're not alone. Many people in your position feel the same way. Remember that all your schooling is technical information and not the practical application of that information. You've provided yourself with an excellent platform from which you can dive into countless careers. An MBA, in all it's practicality, is applicable to just about any field. It sounds to me as if you've focused so much on your education that you've not allowed yourself the time to dream. This isn't the kind of thing that you should cram for. You'll need some time. Time away from the pressures of your degree. Do you have a semester break coming up? That would be a great time to do some soul searching. Don't think about a specific career path at this point. Concentrate on those activities, tasks, and thought processes that you enjoy. Once you've given that some consideration then you can take that information and research potential careers where these activities define success. You might visit your campus' career placement center for some assistance and reference material. Unfortunately, life doesn't come with a road map and very few make every correct turn. Find a place you want to start and remember you don't have to decided everything right now. Good luck.Getting dissatisfied with life. I'm contemplating a major change, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Help?
Think of the things you enjoy doing. Think of happiest moments in your life. Find a job where you can do the things you love and you will never ';work'; again a day in your life. God Bless!
Do something you hate.



A weird answer, I know, but it worked for me. When I had no direction I joined the US Navy, and it was the most demeaning, degrading, dehumanizing experience of my life, but it taught me who I was. By finding out exactly what I didn't want, I was able to figure out what I did, and now my life is on track. Good luck.
You are not alone in this feeling. Many people feel trapped into pursuing a career that they do not want or is unsuitable for them. Giving you advice as to what you should do is almost impossible without knowing you. But, try this: Make a list of the things you enjoy doing (besides studying). Try to evaluate what kind of person you are. Do you like to help people? Do you like technical challenges? Reading, writing? Sales? They do have career evaluation tests that can help guide you to things that you may have an aptitude for.



I have an MBA and have never used the skills I learned. For me, it was a waste of time.
Get a job. At this point, any work experience is probably going to be better than more school, just based on the way you asked the question, that's my answer, get a job.
This is one of the unfortunate pitfalls of going to college right out of high school and without any practical work experience. How do you know what you are ever going to like? How are you going to know what you don't like? It gets to be a weeding out process and many people end up going to college for a degree and get stuck doing it their whole life and they hate it, but it was the one thing they were schooled for. I was lucky and went back later in life. Even then I thought I knew what I would like to get into. But the college I went to had just started a new class and I was encouraged to get into it. It was a one credit course that was designed to help you figure out what you should be studying for because of your interests. I had worked retail for 20 years, I loved math and psychology, so I figured that one of these would be one of the final five selections that I was given at the end of the course. They weren't on the list. But writing was,(amazing) and a few others that I agree would be the perfect fit for how I feel about things. That was the best class I ever took. I only wish I had had a chance to have done it 20 years ago.
Whether you realize it or not, you have two options that can come from the MBA. Have you considered teaching college?



College business professors may still be involved in politics, but it's far less than the real world, and backstabbing is kinda stupid, since professors tend to stick around at a school for a long time.



College business professors are also fairly well-paid... we're talking somewhere between $70k to $250k depending on the discipline and school you're teaching at. You won't have to worry about money, and you even have the option of getting tenure, which is to say that they can't fire you for anything less than a major crisis.



So you do have a comfortable option that doesn't involve the real world if you're up for taking it, :)



Good luck!
answer is available within your question. please read the following statements given by you. you will understand your position and state of your mind.



I don't want to start businesses, nor do I have any strong desire to work in the commerce industry



I don't know how to play a musical instrument. For the past 17 years of my life



I only have one direction in my life, but I'm reluctant to pursue it.



I'll probably end up working in the commerce industry... even though I'm not sure if I want to (people in the real world back-stab each other and play politics),



do not confuse yourself. be free to choose your line of job and decide strongly. result will come last. first your direction should be clear and plan it work for it.

avoid imagination and do not under estimate your self at any circumstances. music is not a problem for life. working is important and not the money or company. every organisation respect your involvement and you will get the benefit after hard working for many years.



start working stop worrying
Soul searching is a journey that can only be traveled alone. You need no luggage for it is a journey you take within yourself. Think of what will truly bring you happiness in life. You may think you have only one direction.Take off the blinders and look at the many roads you can travel on. They are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment