Monday, June 6, 2011

Please help me out....This is the 8th time I post this without one response,,?

I want to write a statement of purpose but I am changing major? Both my bachelor and masters degrees were in Management Information Systems (MIS) in the college of Information Technology.. Now I am planning to apply for the PhD program in Economics, could you please provide me with some tips on how to write the SOP, because in this case the whole SOP should be based on why I am intending to change my major.Please help me out....This is the 8th time I post this without one response,,?
It's hard to imagine a credible graduate school allowing someone to start a PhD in Economics without having an Economics background ?including some heavy-duty math.Please help me out....This is the 8th time I post this without one response,,?
i think u havent received any responses because no one really knows what to do either...sorry!
Well, why are you changing your focus (since there are no ';majors'; in grad school), and what makes you qualified to pursue this new career path? Where do you see it taking you? You're the only one who can answer those questions, so I'm not sure what kind of help you're expecting. If you need to find someone who's done something similar, you're much better off reaching out to the programs directly and seeing if they can put you in touch with current students or alumni (or professors).
While you don't need to have majored in econ in order to get a PhD in econ, your undergraduate program would need to have included courses in both econ and in math, and your math skills would need to be extremely strong.



When you write your statement, don't talk about ';changing your major to econ';. You don't ';major'; in things at the graduate level. Instead, talk about changing your focus.



As for why - that's for you to explain. Why are you interested in econ? What is the focus of your research going to be, and why? What about the faculty's research at this school makes it suitable for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment