Monday, June 6, 2011

Should I change majors?

I am 21 years old, a junior, and in my second year in the Landscape Architecture program. Ever since I have started my education studying design, I have mostly disliked the projects, and have always been extremely frustrated with my work. Most of the frustration comes from not knowing how to design landscapes such as residential communities or urban parks, no confidence in drawing, nor understanding what my professors are saying to me. The reason I kept with it is because I sort of like the aspect of being creative, but when it comes to being creative professionally, this is where I become frustrated on how to approach these projects. To me designing is all subjective visual bullshit. I have many times thought of switching to Philosophy or law because its a more structured logical way of thinking and understanding how things work, whereas design is all open-ended. Design is basically this: If you can visually bullshit your design, with intensive craft and creative thinking skills, which I lack or have no confidence in, you get an A. Now I am at a point where I'm just motivated to get the grades and my degree with no prospect on the future. I'm not liking the person I am becoming. I'm halfway through the program and not looking forward to the remaining two and a half years. At the same time I'm getting decent grades, and want to finish because I don't want the last three years to be a waste. What do you think?Should I change majors?
Logical question here: Do you want to do this kind of work for the next 20 years of your life? Weigh the pros and cons of switching, talk to your academic adviser about what you need to do in order to switch. If you are to switch look at the classes you have to take. Are those ones that you would enjoy? Finding a job is difficult, but doing a job that you really enjoy or have interest in is something that will make it much easier later on.Should I change majors?
You should change. I wanted to change in my junior year, second semester, and I thought, ';no, i dont have that far to go.'; But it was a waste, I never really wanted to work in that field after. I should have used it as my minor, and pursued what would have fit my personality better.

Its only a couple of years now, but you have your whole life to be in this career. Don't keep going if you think it doesn't fit you.
  • for sale by owner house
  • horses
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment