Tuesday, May 31, 2011

How to deal with my father due to my choice of psychology as a major?

My dad is very difficult to talk to. He talks AT you instead of TO you and he gets very agitated just because I disagree with him. He kept asking me what I am going to do with my major and I have only just finished my first year in college (although I have sophomore status). He also keeps telling me that all his collegues' children who majored in psychology cannot find jobs... Seriously, a lot of people change majors in college and careers in life. Does he really expect me to know what I am going to do with the rest of my life just base on book research? That's why I decided to do an undergrad internship at a psychology center this summer for no money and no credit. My dad got upset. He kept asking me what was the point of volunteering if you're not getting money or credit for it. (Uh, maybe I want to help people and get an idea of my future career based on actual experience?) My mom worries that I'll ';become crazy'; and that I'll ';be in danger.';How to deal with my father due to my choice of psychology as a major?
GIRL! you are an adult and can make your own decisions - they need to learn to deal with it and stop treating you like you are 12. Just be firm with them about what you want to do and tell them that you need their support not their criticism. If they don't support you - find people who do and be around them.

I think the internship is the most incredible idea I have ever heard from a young person and you should GO FOR IT! You should be commended for thinking of it and researching it and taking responsibility for the decision you have to make in the next year or so. There are way too many people in this world who just ';picked a major'; to make their family happy but do NOTHING like it for a career. Remember YOU are the one in the long run who has to live with your choices NOT THEM! Be strong, be assertive, keep doing what you're doing!How to deal with my father due to my choice of psychology as a major?
Very true.
As you say, you may change your major sometime in the next three years. Your father has a legitimate concern about your job prospects. There are lots of psych degreed people out there waiting tables. Research into the job market should be considered a college course for you. The rest of your father's reaction may be that he feels uncomfortable about the whole topic of psychology. I know my parents considered it somewhat akin to Satanism. They had very little self-insight and were frightened by the idea of someone ';poking around in their heads';. His attitude to your volunteer work probably had something to do with his attitude to psychology as a whole. You will reach a time in your studies when you begin to interact with clients. Only that will tell you if you have the personality to do it. But there are other side careers you can go into that do not involve counseling, like human resources, for instance. Just relax and realize that nothing is written in stone at this point. If you love what you're studying, then go for it.
you cannot live your life based on what your parents think. I'm not saying to leave them out of your life, just make them understand that it is YOUR life, not theirs. You must have a reason for majoring in psychology like trying to help people. I wanted to major in psychology, now i'm thinking medicine. And if you get a doctarate degree, you can make good money. But that doesn't even matter. It's what you want and what will make you happy. And if he loves you he will understand, and support you no matter how much he disapproves... Good Luck. Use some of what you have learned in psychology classes.
you're in college.you're growing up.your parents controlled your life up until now.but now,its time for YOU to choose what you want to do-tell your father that it's totally your choice!if he suceeds at making you change your major,then for the rest of your life YOU will be the one stuck with a job you will probably hate for the rest of your life.

this is your opportunity to show that you WANT this,and that you have enough personal strength to go through with it,despite your loved ones demanding otherwise.



i hope you'll be able to convince him its for you!

good luck!=]
Your father might be the same type as mine.

They always expect us to be or do what they want to do.

But the point is the life is yours and you are the one will study what you choose to do.

I believe that learning what you love to do will be more successful then being forced to study what you don't want to learn or don't want to be.

You are the one who will be with the career that you choose to study %26amp; learn to be the whole life.

For example: from my case, I wanted to be an architect but my father wanted me to be a doctor or engineer, it didn't work because I couldn't be or my ability wouldn't reach that point, my math wasn't that great and etc.

But I can be a nurse, because it's a good job and I like to help people. So I studied to be a nurse and work happily.

Just talk to them nicely about what you want to be

and your dream career. Perhaps you%26amp;your parent can meet at the half way... +_+

Best wishes %26amp; good luck.
Tell them that you plan to continue after you get your bachelor's in psych and go for a master's but don't know yet what to specialize in because you have yet to take all the core curriculum and don't know all that is out there and you want to make an informed decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment