Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Should I change my major?

I am an English major in my final year, planning to become a teacher. I think I would like to be a psychiatrist, psychologist, or doctor-- how much would I be set back if I changed? Should I? My strengths are in language, not medicine, but I think I would prefer the job field, especially considering the economy. How many more years would I have to be in school?

Any advice would be appreciated.Should I change my major?
Generally to get into medical school you need a four year degree, and you must also take the MCAT (medical college admissions test). If you are on your way to getting a four year degree and you think you would like to become a doctor or psychiatrist you would need to go to medical school. Even though a psychiatrist only works with the mentally ill, they usually have a medical degree just like any other doctor. Schooling for a psychologist is different, but it usually involves a four year program focusing mainly on mental health issues and how to treat different forms of mental health problems. Going to be a doctor involves four years of medical school, a year of internship, and then at least three, or more, years of residency- depending on the specialty you want to pursue. I wouldn't advise going to medical school unless you are really devoted to medicine and think you will really enjoy it. It isn't for the faint of heart, and it isn't a commitment you should take lightly. You really need to examine how strong your desire is, and do some independent research into all the careers you are considering, before you make a final decision. Good luck.Should I change my major?
if you have the finances to afford continuing your education, and your parents support you, then go ahead. you would probably need at least another 2 years undergrad school to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment