Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I applied to some schools for a physics major...but now I'm thinking I should go into more applied physics?

All the schools that i applied to were as a physics major. i been reading and now im beginning to think I won't be able to go into research and development and stuff like that with pure physics. I like theory but I really don't want to be theoretical physicist. I want to be in a field that creates things that can be used by people. I want to apply physics concepts to help people and build devices not just study effects and theory. What can I do now I already applied for January and am waiting? DO you think I would be able to change majors to applied physics or maybe and enginneering concentration or minor or something or am I stuck in physics? How do colleges look at this stuff?I applied to some schools for a physics major...but now I'm thinking I should go into more applied physics?
';DO you think I would be able to change majors to applied physics or maybe and enginneering concentration or minor or something or am I stuck in physics?';



Of course you'll be able to change your major. It is rare for a student to actually graduate with the major they applied with. Just talk to your advisor.



As for whether you should change your major, it really depends on the physics program at your school, and how you want to ';apply physics';. All engineering fields are a form of applied physics. What do you want to ';research and develop';? Most undergraduate physics programs offer a good range of experimental and theoretical physics, tending towards the basics--classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, atomic/nuclear physics, optics, etc. It typically doesn't get *too* theoretical unless you want it to (even then, not much until graduate school), and in general, offer a good foundation for a future in R%26amp;D.

No comments:

Post a Comment