Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Thinking about changing major to Nursing?

I am currently a senior in high school. I have a current GPA of 3.10 to 3.30 and an ACT score of 29. I have been accepted and currently set on going to Minnesota State University Moorhead, which runs about $11,000 a year. My current selected major is Computer Science.



Recently, I have thought about changing my major to Nursing to become a Registered Nurse. Not only is the pay attractive but also I think I would have good qualities for thsi type of work. I can stand the sight and smell of blood and feces (I ';cleaned'; cows last summer for a part-time job). Over the years, I have become able to keep my emotions in check and be able to make good decisions, which I believe will be helpful throughout the emotional work of medical work. I am very self-motivated when I need to be and I believe I work better under stress.



What I would like to know is if I will be cut out for this kind of work and what else will be demanded of me. I would also like to know how long it will take after receiving my BSN (schooling, etc.) and anything else I need to do to become a Registered Nurse. Also, I would like to know about how much it will cost to attend nursing school.Thinking about changing major to Nursing?
I can't tell from your avatar if you are a man or woman (sorry 8-), but if you are a man your ego has to be OK with being in a female dominated profession.



As a nurse you will:

1. Be under a lot of stress

2. Your job will be physically demanding

3. Doctors and patients can both be rude to you

4. You will always be in high demand and will easily get a job right out of college.

5. Nurses make good money and high end nurses (nurse anestasists, for example) can make $200K

6. You must have HIGH tolerance for human interaction (helps to be an extrovert)

7. You get paid hourly - the more hours they make you work, the more you get paid.



As a computer programmer

1. you job will NOT be physically demanding - you'll sit in a chair a lot.

2. It is very competitive in college and the job market - you need to be good at what you do to get a good job.

3. most computer programmers won't make as much as most nurses

4. you'll probably work in a cubicle somewhere and have much less human interaction than a nurse

5. if you work for a high-tech company (Oracle, Microsoft, etc) you may be expected to a lot of hours. Unlike being a nurse - you don't get paid for all the extra hours you work.

6. This job is fine for introverts or extroverts.



Good LuckThinking about changing major to Nursing?
follow your heart, and do what YOU think is right for you! I'll let others answer the specifics, but just make sure you follow your passions
I'd recommend setting up an appointment with a nurse and shadowing her/him for a day or two. It would give you a better idea if you'd like to do it.



There are three different routes to obtain your RN--diploma, associates degree, %26amp; bachelor degree. The higher the degree, the longer time it takes to obtain. From beginning to end, diploma programs %26amp; associates degree take 2-3 years, %26amp; bachelor degree typically takes 4 years. The costs could range anywhere, depending on each program.



Make sure whatever program you take is accredited, this is the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission: http://www.nlnac.org/Forms/directory_sea



Good luck! :)
Once you graduate you can usually take your NCLEX almost immediately, within a month is normal. Nursing is an excellent career and I would recommend it to just about anybody. I have no idea how much your school would cost you are in a different state. Another added benefit is that less than 10% of nurses are men so if you are single that can be an advantage. I say go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment