Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I want to change my major to teaching, how many years of schooling is this?

what is involved?I want to change my major to teaching, how many years of schooling is this?
It depends on two requirements. First the state in which you plan to teach and second the subjects you plan to teach. Notice I said ';subjects.'; I highly recommend you be dual certified at least. It will make you marketable when looking for a job.



Now here is something you should know. Teaching is listed as one of the top 5 most stressful jobs. It is up there with police work. Most new teachers quit after three years. Pay is low, on average a school year is 187 days but expect to take a lot of work home and stay after school for no extra pay. Many teachers will tell you that when you figure in all the extra time the pay is near minimum wage.



My recommendation: Don't change your major. Wait until after you work in your current major for two years. Then get into an ';alternative teacher certification program.'; It takes about one semester. Then at least you have a career area to ';go back to'; in the event you quit teaching.
  • advice on how to win girl back
  • Fish
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment