Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I am thinking about changing my major from Accounting to Marketing. Any advice?

alright.... so I am a senior in college. I have completed all my gen-eds and my core business classes. I made decent grades through all of that and now am getting into my Accounting courses (Intermediate, Cost, Tax, etc..). Problem is I am doing horrible in them. I hate the subject and it doesnt keep my interest. I have taken Marketing classes before and LOVED the topic. I know there is a lot of opportunities in Accounting and money to be made but I was wondering if I should change majors now before I make a lot of bad grades and hate my job for the rest of my life, haha. How many jobs are available in Marketing? Thanks in advance for any advice!I am thinking about changing my major from Accounting to Marketing. Any advice?
eh, i dont know if that is the best move.



I didn't enjoy the tax or high level accounting classes i took, but i really enjoy the financial analyst job i have now. Its alot better and easier than school makes it out to be.



Marketing is sort of hit or miss.... You could get a job making big bucks and have lots of fun, but those jobs are rare to find. For the most part there are too many marketing grads out there, and companies pay them accordingly...



Personally, since your pretty close to finishing accounting, i would just finish and try out the career. If you dont like it, it would be easy to take night classes and finish a marketing minor. In a worst case scenario.... I think it would be easier to finish accounting and realize that you dont like it and get a marketing degree.... than it would be to switch to marketing, realize there are crappy jobs, and then switch back to accounting.



Grades are not nearly as important as experience... do whatever you can to get experience using all kinds of programs in accounting.

No comments:

Post a Comment