Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Should I change my major?

I am an English major in my final year, planning to become a teacher. I think I would like to be a psychiatrist, psychologist, or doctor-- how much would I be set back if I changed? Should I? My strengths are in language, not medicine, but I think I would prefer the job field, especially considering the economy. How many more years would I have to be in school?

Any advice would be appreciated.Should I change my major?
I think a song from avenque pretty much answers your question



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK6ksA0Qy



the only person who can really answer your question is you

if you planned on becoming a teacher and your strengths are in language then you would stay with it.

but if you think you will regret that choice then change ultimatly your the only one to make that callShould I change my major?
Wow in your final year of school. I would finish that first. If you want to be a psychiatrist you'll have to go through med school. Psychiatrists are MDs and your looking at 10 years or more of school. Ask yourself what you really want to do and research what each field does. Psychiatrists do little therapy but medically consult (briefly) to prescribe medications. Psychologists (4-5 years post bachelors) do a lot of testing and assessments. Clinical social workers and counselors (Masters degree 2 years post bachelors) do the therapy. Research each of these fields, see what the educational requirements are and then decide. I would finish school to have a back up or a primary occupation to pay for school. Being in a social science isnt always a prerequisite to one of these grad programs. A lot of it is experience and professional exposure.

Don't overkill the school thing. If language is your strong suit then a direct clinical social worker or counselor might be the way to go. Consider vocational rehabilitation counseling as well. (Masters).
The medical field is best considering the economy. You've stated medicine is not one of your strengths. To enter the medical field have you considered becoming a technician able to operate some of their very expensive, very technical analysis equipment? MRI, xray, various other diagnostic machinery, radiology, etc. Good pay and lots of employment.

No comments:

Post a Comment