Sunday, November 21, 2010

Cal Poly-SLO Can you change majors after acceptance?

I fully intended to enter Cal Poly as an English major for Fall 2007, however, after learning about economics in school lately, I have been doubting which major I should choose. I heard majoring in English is very difficult, but I English is one of my strengths, but I am beginning to love studying Economics... help! How difficult, if even possible, is it to change majors at Cal Poly? I heard it's nearly impossible...Cal Poly-SLO Can you change majors after acceptance?
I checked out the CalPoly website to try to find the information you needed, and you are correct -- it is very difficult (but not impossible) to change majors after you have been admitted.



Here's why. As an intended English major, you were admitted to the College of Liberal Arts. Economics majors study in the College of Business. Cal Poly makes switching from one college to another very difficult.



It looks like you're going to have to go in as an English major, and fulfill those requirements for at least three quarters. You will also have to take Economics and calculus classes, and you'll have to do very well in them in order to even apply to switch to an Economics major.



They also make it clear that you'll have to make an appointment at the Advising Center in order to determine whether you will be eligible to change your major.



Looks like it's going to be tough.



Best wishes to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment