Saturday, November 20, 2010

I think i want to be a teacher but I'm in the wrong major and it's too late to change. what do i do?

I'm currently a sport management major but the more i think about it the more I want to be a physical education teacher. problem is it's too late to change my major (I'm in my second semester of junior year).



So if I don't want to change my major how do I pursue being a PE teacher?I think i want to be a teacher but I'm in the wrong major and it's too late to change. what do i do?
Normal course of action would be to graduate as planned then continue on to earn a post-graduate teaching certificate which is about 1 year or less. Usually the post-grad cert courses can also double as some of the requirements for a masters in secondary education as well, should you choose that path, but the certificate will get you fully qualified and out working sooner.I think i want to be a teacher but I'm in the wrong major and it's too late to change. what do i do?
follow ur will or u will regret later
non-traditional licensure...



take the Praxis I exam.. and pass of course.



then take the Praxis II, usually after graduation



you will then enter a 2 year teaching program where you teach and are examined
First, it is NEVER too late to change/add to your major, it will just take a little longer. I know you're in a hurry to get it done and over with, but trust me in the long run it makes no difference.



That being said, the easiest way to do it is to get a teaching master's degree. You'll have to do more work than someone who majored in education in undergrad, but it will still work. Some states allow people to teach while not licensed as long as they are working on it and in a high need area (I don't think PE is it). You'll have to just look into it based on where you live.
Talk to your academic adviser, considering you are in a sport management major you might have a bunch of classes that would transfer over to a p.e. teacher.



Sometime depending how in demand teachers are you can take a test to get teacher certification and all you have to have is a degree in anything.
It's never too late. I graduated from college with a BS in Biology then worked in a hospital for 4 years before deciding that I wanted to be a teacher. I'm currently a science teacher and I'm so happy I changed careers.



It depends what state you're in, but in general, you have to take a test to get a teaching license. In many states, if you pass this test (or tests) and you have a bachelor's degree in something similar to the field in which you're looking to teach, you can get a preliminary license.



Try the department of education website for your state, they usually have a great deal of info on the different paths you can take to become a licensed teacher in that state.



Good Luck! Don't give up!
  • lot of oil refined
  • web server software
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment