Monday, November 22, 2010

How do I know if I am taking good pictures?

I have recently taken up photography as a hobbie. I really enjoy it and I am thinking about maybe changing my major to photography now. I am just curious how you know if you are taking good pictures. I don't want to change majors and then discover that I am horrible at photography. Please help!How do I know if I am taking good pictures?
I think It is important to ask yourself if you like your photographs and why do you like them. If you find that you like them only for the sake of the subject, you might want to think about different ways to compose, print, manipulate, etc.. an image. Also, do not rely too much on what others say. Photography, like any form or art is subject to a wide range of opinions and interpretations. With that said, try to think critically about other photographer's work, form your own opinions. Go to a museum or gallery and think about the photographers intention behind making the image, and what your reaction to it is.

No one works in a bubble, so make sure you look at a lot of photographers.

When you get more comfortable looking at work, I advise you to read the book: Criticizing Photographs by Terry Barrett

available here:

http://www.amazon.com/Criticizing-Photog

If you are serious about being a photographer, you have to allow for ample time to explore, experiement and evolve.

I also reccomend a book for new artists called Art and Fear by David Bayles and Ted Orland available here:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Fear-David-Bay

Good luck and do what yu love to do, In the words of Joseph Cambell ';Follow Your Bliss!';How do I know if I am taking good pictures?
Take them to a professional photographer and ask their opinion.
Double major. Its a good idea all the time.
Always try to take the picture where there is sufficient light.

Camera also matters a lot.So try to select a good camera with good colour sensitivity.Always beware about the background.

For example if you wear a black shirt,a red coloured object at the background will add beauty.So its a great necessity to understand about the colour matchings.
I think you should take some pictures whatever you think has been your best work hang it in your home and see what kind of reaction you get from people before you tell them is your own work. Also photography is really expensive hobby so be ready to spend some cash.
Just show your work around and find by yourself.
There are a lot of photography sites that you can join for free and other members will critique them. I'm a member at www.usa101.com and people are really helpful on that site.



I would also take everyone else's advice and critique your pictures yourself, have your family and friends to help you out, talk to other photographers...
being a photo major is hard

and uhhh....most photographers dont make it out there....

not to persuade u otherwise but if ur questioning urself that's a sign that ur probly not that good

No comments:

Post a Comment