Saturday, November 20, 2010

Should I change my major to civil engineering?

I need some advice on this one. I'm currently a history major with the intent on going to law school but lately I've been feeling some second thoughts. I think I might enjoy engineering and I have always taken things apart to see how they work. But I'm a mediocre math student at best and wondering if the course work would be too rigorous.Should I change my major to civil engineering?
Wow, I guess I did something wrong. I have always liked to take things apart and I'm a civil engineer. I also make more money than quite a few attorneys.



Don't limit yourself. Don't be afraid to try.



My suggestion is to talk with civil engineering professors and find out what civil engineers do. See if you can visit some engineering companies. Maybe get a summer job at one.



Decide if you really want to do this and give it a shot. It could be that you need to get a better foundation in math before going to the upper level math courses.Should I change my major to civil engineering?
Liking to take things apart and engineering are two entirely different things. This what separates the construction worker from the civil engineer, the mechanic and the mechanical engineer.



If you are mediocre at math then you will have trouble in engineering. I have seen a couple of people go into engineering that were mediocre at math but I would not trust them to engineer anything.



In engineering you will take a lot of math in engineering. Calculus 1, Calculus 2, Calculus 3, Differential Equations, Statistics, Numerical Methods, Linear Algebra. On top of all of the Physics. If you think you will have to just survive a couple of semesters of math, then you are sorely wrong. You don't have to be a math genius but if you are not good at math then you are not going to like engineering.
Civil engineers build things that don't move. If you like taking things apart that used to 'work', then Civil engineering is not for you. Try Physics or Mechanical Engineering. The objective of Civil engineering is to not let it move.



As a sidebar, engineering does not necessarily pay the bills. Apply this statement to your current and future financial situation.
As a Civil Engineer, I advise that you need to be pretty good at maths to get through the course. If you enjoy mechanics and physics, it could be for you.

You won't become rich, you'll make more than a historian but not as much as a lawyer. On the other hand, being a lawyer is pretty dull (my sister is a lawyer).



Strangely enough, I enjoy history as an interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment