Monday, November 22, 2010

I want to change my major... What do you think?

I currently am majoring in Business Administration. But I am bored with it. I am able to transfer and start on my upper division part at a university. But I now want to change to Veterinary Medicine. I love animals and am really good with them. I know how hard it is going but i think it would be fun. What do you guys think i should do....Change my major or stick with business?



Also if any of you are veterinarians what do you think about your job and any advice?I want to change my major... What do you think?
The most important thing is picking a degree that you are going to be able to live with. Be sure that this new degree is what you want. If it is then you should still at least see if you have completed a associates degree in business management so you can take something away from the schooling you have already completed.



good luck with the work



dbI want to change my major... What do you think?
Volunteer in the field you are interested in before switching...it will save both time and money...make sure you get some firsthand knowledge on it before making the drastic decision...call a vet and ask if you can visit and observe. It never hurts to ask. I changed my major after doing this and am glad that I evaluated the career before making the switch.

Good luck.



http://how2savemunnyhunny.blogspot.com/
You'll likely have to take the prerequisite classes in science before you can apply for vet school. Excellent grades are required in those classes with a high overall GPA. Other evidence of your desire to help animals is necessary (volunteer at an animal shelter; work as a vet assistant for a clinic). Good people skills are also a necessary part of your being accepted to the Vet Schools.



Years ago, I was in a similar position. I was bored to tears with the Bus. Admin. classes and enjoyed the required science class I was taking! I changed my major to biology and stayed in higher education as a community college instructor for 39 years! So even if you don't make it into vet med school, getting a degree in zoology or related fields will probably more satisfying than plodding through the very lucrative business field! You probably won't get rich in science or vet. medicine!
The last thing you want is a major in something you hate. If you are only a sophmore, then you have plenty of time to switch. Take into consideration that vet medicine will need graduate, phd degrees, so you will be in school for a longer period of time.
If you are bored with business after only a few years of study, imagine how unhappy you would be by the time you were ready to retire! Now is the time in your life to search and explore and figure out what you're passionate about. The thing that sparks your interest, that you can see yourself doing as a career and enjoying, is the one that is worth pursuing. Veterinary Medicine will be a lot of work and it's a very competitive field, but if you're prepared and willing to put forth the effort, then there's no reason not to go for it.
That's a huge difference. Veterinary medicine is incredibly difficult and vet schools are very difficult to get into.

However, if it is your dream and if you can get excellent grades in the sciences, go for it.



You may want to transfer to a school that has a vet program as you'll have a better chance of getting into vet school if you live or can claim residency in the state where the vet school is
Take it from someone who has switched majors 3 times, make sure you are doing what you want to be doing, being a veterinary requires a lot of school after undergrad so look at that too. If that is what you are really interested in then go for it. Don't worry if it will take longer to complete. With business you can get a lot of boring jobs in an office, so if that is what you want to do then go for that. Also if you haven't taken chemistry and biology classes you will have to take them and more upper level courses in science and math, so if those aren't your strong subjects I wouldn't switch. What it all comes down to is what you see yourself doing in the future if it is something in an office go with business if you want to work with animals more instead of people then go with veterinary medicine. Good luck!:)
  • hosting
  • domain web hosting
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment