Saturday, November 20, 2010

How do I tell my mom i want to change my major?

I';m currently majoring in political science, and i'm taking political science 101 and i don't think politics really interests me. My mom wants me to get a law degree, but i don't think i want to become a lawyer. I want to be either a journalist, photographer, or a photojournalist. I want to either major in mass communications and minor in photography or major in business and minor in photography, i'm so confused what do i do?How do I tell my mom i want to change my major?
Tell her that you think that majoring in communication will give a special edge in the job market. Say that majoring in communication or business will give you more flexibility, giving you the option of law or many other things. Political science is not a requirement for law school admission.How do I tell my mom i want to change my major?
Change your major to undeclared and take a few of the classes you are interested in. After taking some of those classes you should be able to determine if you actually like them or if you just like the idea of a career in those fields. If you mom gets upset just tell her that you don't want to become a lawyer and that you won't succeed at anything your heart is not in. She should understand and support you.



Also, you don't have to have a political science degree to go to law school. You can have an art degree if you want and still gain admission to a good law school. Again, take classes that interest you and find out what you are passionate about and what you can see yourself doing for the next 30-40 years.
I would major in journalism instead of mass comm. Don't do a major for your parents. If you don't have the passion to become a lawyer, law school is going to be a b****.



I can see your mom freaking about being a photojournalist. Not the most lucrative job market. But this is your whole life. You can not go into a career you do not want. Your mom is going to have to come to terms with that
if you're taking polysci101 then am I right in assume you are a freshman and haven't officially declared your major? If so, it wouldn't be changing your major just changing your plans. Be forthright with your parents about your plans. My advice would be to do a major in business and a minor in photography, OR a major in journalism or english, with a minor or double major in photography.



Just tell your parents about your plans. If it sounds like you are sure of yourself, then they will be more at ease.
It is very natural to decide that your original major is not the best fit after taking a few courses. What I would suggest is you take up Communications or Journalism as a major if it is an option. You can take classes in photography and the arts to get a leg up on whether or not photojournalism is for you. Did you know some ppl with Law degrees go into journalism?? Yes both fields require an investigative mind and a lot of researching and studying to carry out a story or with law, get possible answers to why something happened and defend or go against the defense etc and so forth. So those fields are not that far fetched. Just let your mother know that you have found that politics and law do not interest you as much as journalism does. You have to have a career in something that works best for you, not your mother since this will be something you may be doing for the remainder of your good years. I would also research what are the earnings of a journalist and a lawyer to start this way if your mother tries to give you a hard time, you will have some facts. You would be surprised lawyers starting out do not get paid that much. Some journalist make very good money so it can go either way.



Also consider, you do not want to go through college regretting your major like myself! I probably would have majored in Journalism and minored in Business or double majored in both with a Marketing minor if I could have went back. Now I have to either try and get into grad school or simply gain experience in an entry level field. Talk to your advisor also as well they can help you with your decisions to make changes.
  • irish boy name
  • gives out fashion advice
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment