Friday, November 19, 2010

I want to start my own business some day, do I need to change my major to Business?

I am going for Education major and have taken many classes towards my major. I need three more semesters to finish school. I have gone to get advise on how many classes I need in order to change my major to Business and its about 22 classes. By the time I finish my Business major I could already have a Masters deegree if I just stick to Education.I want to start my own business some day, do I need to change my major to Business?
Stick to education and get your degree. Once you have your BA you can always go for a Master's in Business if you really want it. If you are planning to start your own company, and it is related to the educational field then your degree will help. If you need to get a job and work for someone else for a while before you start your business, there are lots of jobs that are educationally related.



If you just want to keep going to school for a while, sure, switch it out and minor in education. But whatever you choose to do, get your piece of paper. Once you get out into the world, unless you are looking at technical jobs, you'll be surprised by how much the piece of paper means, but not what is on it.I want to start my own business some day, do I need to change my major to Business?
To have major in Business would be plus point if you want to start a business. Next would be market research, hard work and dedication...
The answer is a very big NO!

Look at most successful entrepreneurs. They don't have business degree. Some are even college dropouts. A few famous people come to mind: Bill Gates, Steve Jobs.

Owning a business is different from running a business. In the former, you are the boss. You employ people with business degree to run your business for you. While for the latter, you work for people, and this may need a business degree.
If one wants to open a business, why would one not want to major in business, rather than education. Many people owning businesses in the past have been 'street smart'. In today's high tech, fast paced world, I suggest a business degree - 'to keep up with all the competition'.
There are three separate issues - formal qualification, learning and career. Since your long term goal is to start your own business, the formal qualification is not critical, but learning is. You can learn about business through the formal education that you are pursuing now by taking as many business related courses as possible for graduation with Education degree, and continue to learn about business while you worrk for others after graduation.



Since you are doing Education, you may want to consider education-related business. It may not make you very rich, but it can be very fulfilling.
stick to your major and take some business courses also for future plans...you might teach for awhile and then go into admistration of education, become a principal or start your own small school, tutoring and special classes that are not taught in public school......

No comments:

Post a Comment