Sunday, November 21, 2010

Changing as a Liberal Arts Major?

I am majoring as a Liberal Arts student, but I want to change majors. The stigma of being a liberal arts student is true people! I don't want to waste my money. Can anyone tell me how much my schedule will change if I change my major from Liberal Arts to Chemistry. I would appreciate any answers and also any encouragement to change my current major...bring on the comments people : )Changing as a Liberal Arts Major?
Your major is Liberal Arts... you really don't need to change your major. As a Liberal Arts major, if you're interested in Chemistry, take a lot of Chemistry classes then do a Master's degree in Chemistry. (I'm reading a book currently on Symbiotic Biology written by a lady who's undergraduate degree was in Liberal Arts, and doctorate work was in Biology) The Liberal Arts degree may have a stigma to it, but if you have the required classes, you'll find that you are a better scientific researcher than you would be without the varied experiences of the liberal arts education.



The stigma of it really isn't from graduate admissions officers, so I wouldn't worry too much. A bachelor's degree in Chemistry is just as useful as a Bachelor's in Liberal Arts. In the science world, it's your graduate work that will get you a job. (Ph.D. MEng., MD, DPharm, etc)Changing as a Liberal Arts Major?
Your schedule will change almost totally. You will have more lab classes especially. Basically, almost all planning you have done for your schedule will be thrown out.



But in the long run you will not regret the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment