Saturday, November 20, 2010

Who has experience a major change in a Siberian Husky's behavior at 6 months?

I have a 4 1/2 month old female Husky. When we got her, we were completely prepared to take on this breed that has such a reputation for being a complete handful. We were starting to think we had an exception to the breed, she is very sweet and cuddly, she is full of energy but not surprisingly so, and most importantly, she is obedient! Then I read a posting by a LokiWolf, who said it wasn檛 until they are about 6 months of age that they begin to exhibit the full spectrum typical husky behaviors. If any other Husky owner has experienced this, which, I檓 sure they have, how drastic is the behavior change? Am I just dreaming that we may have the best behaved Husky that ever lived?? :)Who has experience a major change in a Siberian Husky's behavior at 6 months?
My Husky was also a greet puppy until he reached 6-7 months. I also thought I had a great husky. I never owned an Husky before, so I didn't know what to expect. In my personal experience, my husky chewed and destroyed everything. He chewed the inside of my car, would tip his cage over and escape, destroyed the carpet, eat planets, destroyed the sofa, damaged doors, etc. I got him altered at 9 months, but it didn't seem to change. As Huskies get older, they do get better. They still tend to try to escape and they do dig holes, but not so much. I would recommended crating the puppy if you don't already. That is only when you aren't home, because you will come home to a destroyed home. Huskies just tend to get bored a lot and misbehaving is one way huskies show it to their owners. Good Luck with everything and I hope training goes well for you.Who has experience a major change in a Siberian Husky's behavior at 6 months?
Your dog is a puppy up to the age of 4 years old.

GOOD LUCK
Dogs, like people, each have their own personality. Your dog may remain gentle all through life. But remember that husky dogs are not far removed from their wolf ancestors. You have a female so the challenging will not be as bad but she will still need to be reminded who is the boss from time to time. The other thing to remember is that dogs and their behavoir is a reflection of the home they live in. A dog treated gently and kindly is more likely to remain gentle.
Huskies get a bad rap. I have two, a 14 1/2 yr old female and a 4 yr old male. They are the sweetest dogs in the world. Yes, they are energetic, but they are big babies at heart.



At about six months of age, they may assert themselves to test your position as alpha dog in the pack. Or they may not. If they do, be firm and very consistent and don't let them push you around. My female did this, but I didn't let her ignore me, so after a couple instances of ';Come!'; ';I don't feel like it, leave me alone.'; ';Yes, you do feel like it,'; (I would grab her collar and drag her where she should be), she got the idea.



The male did not do this. They are better behaved than any other breed of dog we've had. They are gentle and loving and great with cats and kids. If it's any consolation, I think most dogs will test their boundaries at about 6 months, regardless of the breed, just like an adolescent human.



Good luck! You have a great dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment