Friday, November 19, 2010

How easy is it to change your major right after admission?

I recently applied to University of California Irvine, and I put Literary Journalism as my major and English as my alternate. Now I want to go with English however. I read that after the admission decision is reached then you can apply to have your major switched, but that sometimes majors will be full. What are the chances I will be able to switch? Does it help since I put it as my alternate, could I possibly switch it now? Is English usually full?How easy is it to change your major right after admission?
It depends on your university, but classes are often booked pretty much on number of admissions . You can change majors but can you get into the classes of your choice?

The universities set class size, number of faculty hires, etc etc.



My answer is :

';Not right away';. But keep on talking to registration, as there should be several hundred students also wanting to change majors.How easy is it to change your major right after admission?
Should be a piece of cake. Your'e the customer!
English as a major is usually full, but most of the times it isn't. Just talk to a counsler, usually journalism and english are usually in the same school ( but in your case its not). You might have to maintain a certain GPA to apply for the school next semester.
dont' worry about it. Most people change their major at least once, usually more than once.

Just wait until you've started school and talk to your adviser about it. You really shouldn't be locked into a major until your sophomore year anyway - and even then its possible to change it.

No comments:

Post a Comment