Monday, November 22, 2010

I want to become a special education teacher?

and i am not sure how to go about it. I want to work specifically withj severely handicapped children. i am currently attending a community college that does not offer a degree to teach special needs children. However, they do offer an early childhood degree, and have been told getting dual certification is best. Should I change my major to that? I am planning on attending a four year university after achieving my associates and my community college, where i can earn my certification to teach special needs kids.



Currently, I am enrolled as a Liberal Arts General major, which is basically the broadest spectrum to take the basic courses needed for most degrees. However, if I were to switch, it would put to waste may of the 30 credits I have already achieved.



So my question- is it worth it to change majors from Liberal Arts General to Early Childhood Education and spend more time getting my associates? or Should i stick with my current major and concentrate on special education once i enroll in my four year university?I want to become a special education teacher?
Stick to your current major. Undergrad stuff doesn't really mean much. If you want to teach severe, profound students, then you will need your special ed degree and also a Profound certification, depending on the state in which you teach.



If you plan to teach anything but mild, moderate or profoundly intellectually disabled children, then it would be wise to get an elementary ed certification while you are getting your special ed degree. To teach students with SLD on an academic track, you now need to be Highly Qualified, which you can only do by getting your elementary ed credential as well.



It is fairly hard to get Profound jobs because a lot of very lazy teachers grab up these job and rot for many years. You would be better off to teach Life Skills at first or SLD to get your foot in the door.I want to become a special education teacher?
Special Ed and ECE are very different things (unless you're planning on going into Early Childhood Special Ed). I would stick with what you're doing now, then finish up with SPED certification at university.
ususally when they say dual cert--they mean having a 4 year degree in both



but it would still look good onyour resume if you wanted to work with young children who are severely handicapped to have the EC background instead of teh gen ed
  • born to a teenage mother
  • band myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment