Monday, November 22, 2010

Will changing my major affect my fin aid?

Ok here is the deal. I am going to a community college so when I picked my major(chemical dependancy specialization) I did not need a whole lot of basics. I just needed comp 1 and 2 and 1 math class. So I jumped right into the other classes. Well I am in my 3 semester and I want to change majors. I had originally wanted to be a registered nurse but I heard all these horror stories about how the students practice on each other. But now I dont even care, I know that I want to be a nurse no matter what. Anyways my question is can I change my major and still receive my fin aid? I feel like I wasted all that money on the other classes and am afraid that I will not be able to receive anymore if I switch. I know every school is different, but just in general have you heard of this or anything like it? Thank so muchWill changing my major affect my fin aid?
If it's federal aid, it shouldn't. I went through four and a half years of school and quit when they upped my requirements (even after I showed them the contract stating they couldn't do that after you registered). I regrouped and totally changed my major...from music to business. I just finished up my Associate's, and they are allowing me to get my Bachelor's in something else...and then my masters, so it shouldn't effect anything.



Grants can vary from state to state...for instance, Pell is a federal grant and should not matter as they only pay so much and then they are done anyway. But, state run grants, you may also lose early. Loans, they will let your rack up until you finish a degree...no doubling (in other words, you can't go for two bachelors or two associates).



Other than that, I don't foresee a problem...your first two years of college, as most professors will tell you, is basically when you're getting your footing and deciding who you are. Most people change majors or career paths at least once in that time...Will changing my major affect my fin aid?
I believe there's a limit on the TOTAL amount of aid that you can receive, so in that sense you would have used up some of your 'quota'. However, in general, your status for fin aid would be affected. With the exception of aids given to specific programs.
Probably not if you don't change from full time student status to part time status. However, if you need extra time to graduate it would be more expensive. To be safe call the fin aid office.
Yes, you can. All that matter to qualify is your HOUSEHOLD';S ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment