Monday, November 22, 2010

Computer science major...?

im just finishing my first year in college as a computer science major and i like what i have learned so far that has to do with my major. i've been into this major for a while, but i've heard many stories from people saying bad things about it. Mainly that many might enjoy the programming at first but that it gets old really fast. and that many decide to change major.

from my point of view now, i dont really believe that because having a cs degree opens the door to a wide variety of different jobs.

But i want to get advice from someone who has a degree in cs. i want to know whats it like... and how you view your job. Do you enjoy your job? Is there a lot of different job opportunities?Computer science major...?
Well, you could get bogged down in some commercial stuff, like writing code for Amazon or E-bay. Sounds like good pay and lots of boredom. I personally like process control applications. That will require some education in the business of interfacing the computer to the real world, but the things to do out there are real challenges. How about flying an airplane that has no control cables to the wing surfaces, just wires or maybe fiber optics? Could you do a nuclear reactor system? Roll hot steel? Age wine? There is a ton of fascinating stuff to do out there, but the business world is pretty boring.Computer science major...?
What aspects of computer science do you enjoy?



One CAN pursue a career in programming without a computer science degree. I worked for most of my adult life as a computer programmer/systems analyst and my degree was in accounting.



Of course getting my first real programming position was a bit tough, but once I had it, pretty much everyone agreed that my skill set was actually better for the kinds of work we were doing than a pure computer science degree would have been.



Personally I found the programming aspects of my job to be the most engaging but as I got more and more senior I did less and less of that and more of the managing and planning while others got to do the ';fun stuff';.



I consider myself very lucky to have found a job that I liked so much. It was also very rewarding monetarily, so much so that I'm able to choose NOT to work now. I do feel confident that I could get back into the workforce if I really wanted to but am enjoying my early retirement way too much for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment