Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Am I stupid to change my major from psychology to music or sociology?

The initial reason I wanted to major in psychology was because I want to work with children to mentor, tutor, be a role model...etc and also being a psychology major also expands your option. I don't want to do research in psychology or become a therapist or anything, but I figure that psychology would benefit me because of the ';human behavior'; aspect of it all. I wanted to go to UCSD, but the psych program there is a ';laboratory science'; and requires me to complete calculas, chemistry, and all these courses that state does not. Should I change my major to sociology instead? And I also wanted to learn music, learn how to compose, learn the piano, the drums, guitar...I would love to be an independant artist....Help!!!Am I stupid to change my major from psychology to music or sociology?
Yeah, that's so true, I HATE the fact that UCSD is making me take 3 damn calculus classes for my psych major and take science classes...I mean...really? Calculus and psychology? Way to go UCSD! But then again, I really shouldn't complain because I have to take those classes for my general education anyway. And I want to do research in social psychology and provide therapy to others, esp. people suffering from GAD.



Anyway, sorry about my ranting.

No, I don't think it's dumb that you changed your major to sociology but the thing is, if you really want to work with children, I'm not too sure if sociology would be correct either because it sounds like you want to go into education instead.

If you majored in psychology, you DON'T have to do research, who ever told you that you had to? And at UCSD, you can earn a BA in psychology because the BS in psychology is more intended towards ';laboratory science.';

Also, if you majored in psychology, you could work with children and do developmental psychology but it seems like you just don't want to do research since you mentioned that you want to tutor children and mentor. So, based off of what you said, it seems like you're gearing more towards education and being in the field of education would definitely enable you to mentor and tutor children. But yeah, it is completely fine that you switched your major, I just simply suggest to look more into your options...talk to people who are doing what you would like to do in the future...that's a great start.



Good luck! :)Am I stupid to change my major from psychology to music or sociology?
Not at all. It's your life so you can decide what to do with it.
It's only stupid if you do not plan what you are going to do with that degree (job, graduate school).

Explore what most people do with those degrees, and what your PLAN B will be if your PLAN A doesn't work out.



Think ahead and be smart, then you can major in anything you want.
There are jobs in sociology, but you will still need statistics.

Independant' artists, (especially those who can't spell), starve a lot.

(Musician in the family.)

Better be willing to hit hose books kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment