Wednesday, September 21, 2011

How do I tell my parents I'm changing my major?

I'm currently in a Culinary Arts but I'm going to switch to Hospitality. The problem is that I don't know how to tell my parents. I'm afraid to bring it up because hey have this plan for me to be a chef and they're going to be super pissed when I tell them I don't want to do culinary. They're the type that are ';My way or the highway'; and I know this will cause a lot of fights and drama. Any suggestions on how I go telling them?How do I tell my parents I'm changing my major?
It's not their lives, so they shouldn't expect to control what you want to be. If you want to switch to another major just tell them. ';Mom, dad, Im not so hapy with culinary and I was thinking of doing something a with a little more impact. I want to help people, not cook for them';.How do I tell my parents I'm changing my major?
The majority of students change their major. It's a part of growth. I'm more concerned about another issue. I looked up the ';hospitality'; major, and it appears that it is geared toward management of restaurants and hotels. While this is certainly a valid career choice, I question whether you might be better off going in another direction in your preparation.





A general management degree from a college, even a two-year one, would give you a lot more options. If you decide after training that you'd like to try something different, a more general degree would make it easier to make the change. And, your parents might feel better about paying for a management degree which would make you eligible for a lot more jobs. Just a thought.





In the meantime, I'm sure your parents will be more understanding than you think. Just lay out a clear plan, and they'll be fine. Good luck to you.
My advice? Your in college and you have a major. It's your life now, not theres, they can't keep you home, they can't walk into your own home without breaking and entering so how are they hurting you this much because you started something, it wasn't what you thoght it would be, you found interest in something else, and you'll pursue that.





I would just not tell them. Don't say yeah, Culinary Arts is great. If they ask how school is, tell them that it's the same. if they ask how your cooking is going, tell them its going fine (with the thoughts of last nights dinner in your mind) don't avoid it, just don't bring it up. Unless they ask a direct question. then tell them that it doesn't interest you like you thoght it woudl and drop the subject. Just like it's not my dads business that I broke my bike. I need the exersize i get from walking anyways.
The first thing you should do is pray and then prepare reasons on why you're going to change your major. When you speak to them be sure to be calm and tell them that you'll excel in this choice because that's what you want, right? A person excels in what he/she likes and because of that in pertaining goals, they will be succesful
You could still minor in Culinary Arts but all you are doing


is switching majors. Just tell them that. Say you have done research into the Hospitality industry and found it interesting


so you have decided to switch.
';Hey mom and dad. Oh is that a new hair dew, it looks amazing, so anyways im going to be a doctor okay, Love you! Bye';


haha yeah i dont know.
Say; Mom, Dad i am changing my major! :)
My son has done it twice. Just glad he is sticking it out college education is important,parents should understand
Just tell them.
First of all, ask yourself. Things like '; Why am I changing my course/career/major?';, ';Is it really necessary?';, ';DO I HAVE A CHOICE?';. These self scanning must be done thoroughly and withouc plasticity. You must decide well, because your future life is at stake. Now if you suddenly decided and thought '; Hey, Culinary isnt bad enough.'; give yourself a pat in the back because FINALLY you chose the right thing...(stop reading from this point if you chose the RIGHT thing). But if you are really some kind of adventurous, spoiled, shitty headed person, and still stick the Chef-Turned-Host/Hostess idea, I will spend some of my little time giving you some sermon:





1. Cook (after all, you're studying how to cook until you suddenly thought that its moar exciting to be hospitable) your specialty dish as a decoy for your parents. This will stabilize the mood of your parents, at least temporarily.





2. Talk about some happy things and have a good conversation. This is a good plan to manipulate them towards your actual point.





3. When you finish the food, the climax will begin. Talk about something that has relationship to your point. Ex: ';I have a friend who stupidly decided to change his major...'; Something like that.





4. Tell them your point. Tell them whatever reason you have. For some special effects, cry (cry only if you are a girl. Dont try it if you are otherwise. Instead, look them sharply in there eyes as you narrate them your reasons and the shitakes.)





5. Prepare for the worse. If you are stabbed in the lungs by your mother or trampled to comatose state by your father, still be happy. At least you tried, and most of all you had show them you can stand at your own point and be strong (stop reading to this point if you failed). But if the hell suddenly freezes over and your parents, for some unknown and uncomprehendable reasons, told you ';OK, we let you.';, pat yourself in the back...





6. Good luck!
I went through the same problem. Lucky for you, culinary and hospitality are quite similar. What are your reasons for switching majors? Make sure you are ready with rebuttals when you talk to them. Don't argue with them, but tell them you are SURE you want to switch majors. Make sure you are prepared with a list of reasons why. You could say that hospitality is a wider field and has many more options, including the culinary arts. I noticed the best thing to do when talking to your parents about college and the future, is seem overly confident. If you seem like you're unsure, they'll attack you with ';my way or the highway'; kind of stuff. Sit them down, or just casually mention it. Maybe talk to an adviser at school... see what they have to say and if they agree that you should switch majors, tell your parents that even your adviser recommended it. Tell them you've been doing alot of thinking and researching and realized you want to switch majors. Make sure you know what you're going to say before you talk to them. This may even sound lame, but come up with a list of questions you think they might ask.. or a bunch of things they might say, and come up with things to say back. This way, you'll be prepared for the argument if one ensues! good luck and remember.. it's YOUR future.. fight for what you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment