Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Should I change my major with 3 semesters to go?

Here's the deal. I'm 19, I've been in college since 2006, I'm won't graduate until 2011. My major is Actuarial Science. I didn't really want to major in this because I suck in statistics and basically actuarial science is statistics with an insurance/finance twist. I've only been at the university since Aug 2008, and I was pretty much pressured by my parents to major in this because of how much money you make ($80K to $100K+, sometimes 200K).

I've been doing pretty well for the last 2 semesters until now. I got my first 2 C's this summer and now, after dropping a class that I needed, I'm about to fail another.



This wouldn't be such an issue if the college was not CUTTING OUT MY MAJOR due to lack of funding! So if I fail this class, STA4932, I will NOT be able to graduate because this is the last time it's being offered. I have studied my butt of for this class, there is no tutoring for it because it's such a small major. Plus, for those that don't know, the actuarial science major and career requires about 10 rigorous exams to be taken in order, at least one of which I would need to take before I graduate. The exams have about a 35% pass rate I believe. On the other hand there is no need for a master's degree at all.



I really wanted to do is major in speech pathology or technically Communication Sciences %26amp; Disorders. But I would need 69 more credit hours to graduate. That would be at least 2 more years. And I would have to get a master's degree, which I don't mind. But I know my parents would be angry because they would feel like I was giving up on the major, after they have been supporting me financially almost completely.



Money isn't an issue because my first 2 years were free because I was in HS at the time. I have a 4 year scholarship that I've only used 1.5 years of.



Should I change my major, and enjoy what I'm learning? Technically if I fail this stat theory class I won't graduate anyway. So I'll have to change it. Sorry for the long question...Should I change my major with 3 semesters to go?
well if you fail the class you have to change anyway, so wait to see how you do in the class...do your best work your hardest and see what happens from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment