Tuesday, September 13, 2011

How many people change their major multiple times and what problems are created by doing so?

I started college as a meteorology major and quickly found out that i couldn't do the calculus. I noticed a lot of turf grass science majors in my intro meteorology course so I made the immediate switch to that major. Now I am seeing that I don't seem to be grasping the concepts of organic chemistry so I don't see this going well either. I an in my 5th semester and already behind because of my 1st change. Should I look at making another change or am I stuck where I am at? I am probably going to need an extra semester or maybe two to complete this if I can pass organic chem.How many people change their major multiple times and what problems are created by doing so?
You can always change you major, but doing it too late will push your graduation date back, as you will need to catch up on classes. Each major has its own requirments for what you need to graduate-so you will probably need to take more classes once you switch than if you stuck with your major. Never stick with a major you are not happy with. College isn't like high school, where the course don't really make a huge difference in your life. In college you are preparing for a career, so pick a major than is needed for the type of job you want, for example-an English major won't be able to get a job as a meteorologist.



I went into orientation a biology major, left a Physics major. After my first semester, I decided Physics was wayyy to hard, and I really didn't want a lab every week and every semester, so I switch to math, which was what I wanted before biology (between my last few years of high school and this point I kept switching b/w math, physics, and biology b/c I liked them all so much). My minor is education, which was the same classes for all three majors. Luckily with the physics, I had taken a physics class that was my science elective for the math major, and I had to take calculus for the physics major which I would have needed for the math major. So the only difference was I took my science freshman year and the rest of the math majors took their science sophmore year-so I just had to go back and take a history. I also took a second yr religion class-so I had to go back and take the freshman language which most freshman took. So for me I had only taken classes I would have needed with either math or physics, just in a different order than my program suggested-but that was just a suggestion to take history and language freshman year and science and religion sophmore year-so i was fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment