Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Should I feel bad about wanting to change my major from business management?

In College in my 1st 2 years I was an undeclared major and took most of the general courses. This year I took most of the business courses and didn't do so well in them because I found them difficult and just didn't enjoy it.



I want to change my major to sports management because I have a joy for sports big time and it would be something I want to do



I go to Rutgers-Newark now and would have to transfer to change it. I keep reading about how good the business school is and how much money you can make with business management and it makes me feel bad. I'm just not enjoying it or performaning well in it though and figured I'd do something like Sports Management at another school since they don't have it here which I enjoy more



I'm going to miss being able to say ';you go to Rutgers'; because of the name but want to do something that'd I'd enjoy doing



Also I'm not changing just for the grades I'm changing because I truly know I'd enjoy what I'd be switching into



should I feel bad about it?Should I feel bad about wanting to change my major from business management?
Okay first of all, Rutgers New Brunswick has Sports Management as a major so if you wanted to do that and still wanted to be a Rutgers student, you can transfer there.

Second of all, once you get into your courses that fulfill your major requirements, they are all really hard and they tend to make you hate what you once loved...or thought you loved. Don't let it get you down, believe me. If you really want to do business and look forward to the salary once you start your career, I would stick to it. I go to Rutgers too and am an animal science major at SEBS....lemme tell ya, it aint easy. I transferred from a community college with a 3.83 GPA and after this semester at RU I am going to drop below a 3.0 (probably a 2.8 at worst). Is it discouraging? Yes. Is it disappointing? Absolutely. Should you allow it to be defeating? HELL NO! The RU screw will destroy your life as you know it until you graduate, but do not let the man win!! lol You will be able to do it in the end. If you come across a class you cannot pass at Rutgers, take it at a community college and transfer it over. If you need a GPA pick me up then you can take a dippy class every semester to get an easy A. There are ways around this, trust.

If you were to change your major to sports management there is a 99% chance you will find those classes just as difficult, so if you want to get out of Rutgers sometime before your 30 years old, stick with your initial major.

Lastly, a final GPA of a 2.5 from RU defeats a 4.0 from some crappy college any day of the week. A degree from RU is worth so much more to you and screams intelligence, diligence, and responsibility to a potential employer. Remember Rutgers is a public ivy school which means they have the course rigor of an Ivy League school at a public school price.

The only easy thing about Rutgers is getting in....to finish takes A LOT of will and determination. You can do it...it just may take you a little longer than if you went to some chump school. =)



Oh yeah, and keep in mind that what you learn in college is NOTHING compared to how your career will be. You will enjoy your career even if you hated learning about it. Learning about that stuff is boring but once you get into the field it will be a lot more exciting. However, if you really think business is not for you then switch majors. There is a chance you'll hate that too though and you will be tacking on the years. I got my associates in English and then switched majors to science at RU and now ive been in school for a whopping 6 years with two years more to go =/ So if you are prepared for that, being in school for almost 10 years and ending with one bachlors degree, go for it. The only reason I do not 100% regret my decision is because I was initially a biology major at the community college and switched majors because my grades ';weren't so good';. So basically I am doing now what I wanted to and was meant to do from the getgo. It wasn't a decision made on a whim, ya know?

So its something to really think about. If I were you, I would maybe intern over the summer for business and see how you enjoy the actually career. That might help you decide. If your still unsure, you can always take a few sports management classes at RU New Brunswick and see how that works for ya. OR you can even double major or minor in sports management if you wanted to switch to new brunswich completely. Just throwing out some ideas =) Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment