Tuesday, September 13, 2011

How can I improve my chances at getting into graduate school?

I recently changed majors to something in the medical field after 3 years, I have a 3.5 GPA that is likely to increase. What else can I do to increase my chance at getting into Graduate school once I've finished my B.S. next spring?How can I improve my chances at getting into graduate school?
Take classes for the GREs at like Kaplan or Princeton review. They are really worth the money and help boost your scores. Study Study Study! Eat a good breakfast on the morning of and sleep well the night before.



Write a KILLER statement of purpose. Have your advisor help you or some other professor you know and trust and have a good relationship with. If you have some extra money floating around, Kaplan does have people who do this too. Writing a good statement of purpose is the most important thing. Do not underestimate this.



Go to the school/s of your choice. Meet with faculty. Look around. Ask questions. It's great when they can put a name to an application. Go a step further (or if you are unable to travel to the school) and email the faculty you are most interested in and see yourself working with. Some schools ask on the application ';What faculty members have you contacted?';



Update your CV. My school had an office of career services that could help with that.



Research! Be someone's research assistant. Free work. Who doesn't want that? Ask your professors who you are tight with. Or ask them to make suggestions of faculty who they know who could use some extra help.



If you can't tell from my above suggestions, never assume you can just bang it out on your own. Ask for help. Your current professors/advisors know what it's like to not only apply to grad school, but they could possibly be the people who accept students into grad programs as well so they know what grad schools are looking for.



Good Luck!!!How can I improve my chances at getting into graduate school?
Establish a good relationship with several professors from whom you are earning top grades and who will write outstanding letters of recommendation for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment