Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Should I change my major from Architecture to Business (Marketing emphasis)?

When I started college, I decided to major in Architecture because I had a love for drawing and building scale models. I enjoyed the drafting classes I took, but when it came to the design studio classes, I felt that's where my weakness was, because I'm more of a technical person than a creative one. I still continued to work hard, received my associates degree, and I applied and was accepted into architecture school. The first day of school, the professor assigned us to design three structures with floor plans, elevations and 3d sketches, and to have it done in a week. The workload was just too much for me, so I ended up dropping out of the program after the first week. So after quitting school, I figured I should try to get a job. I searched all over for entry-level drafting positions, but although I had a degree, no one would hire me - mostly because of lack of experience and because of the weak economy. With no jobs available in architecture, I went to a temp agency and was offered a data entry position. I couldn't afford to be picky, so I accepted it. So far, it's been one of the best companies I've ever worked for! The product is great, the company is growing really fast, and it's a really great working environment with excellent opportunities to advance. I quickly moved from data entry to sales assistant to now accounts receivable assistant.in just six months. I recently received an email from the director of the architecture program stating that he really wants me back in the program and thinks I can succeed, but I really want to keep my job and if I go back to architecture school, I would have to quit my job and be stuck being a starving student again. I spoke with the CEO of the company, he told me that if I wanted stay with the company, that he foresees growing positions in marketing and sales. So, I've been thinking about going back to school, but changing my major to Business with a Marketing emphasis to give me a better chance to advance within the company. Plus, I can continue to work while I go to school. I still like architecture, but I don't know if I like it enough to quit my job and commit to the heavy workload. Also, I'm not as creative as I would like to be, so I question how successful I could really be, in school and professionally. On the other hand, I don't really know much about Business (Marketing) yet and don't know if I'll succeed in that either. Plus there is no guarantee that I'll be able to move up in the company. Anything could happen in the next few years. What should I do?Should I change my major from Architecture to Business (Marketing emphasis)?
you could take night classes probably and work towards a business/marketing degree and still keep the job - you already have some college credits that can transfer



If you are now working for the company and not the temp agency, check and see if they have a tuition reimbursement program, that woul dhelp you with tuition costs

No comments:

Post a Comment