Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I want to change my major from pre-med to a non-science major, what should I do?

I am a undergraduate pre-med major, I recently decided that I want to do other things that interest me, while still pursuing a career as a doctor, meaning I would take a non-science major, and still take the prerequisites for medical school. But I'm wondering what are my chances of getting into medical school with a non-science major and how do I go about this. Will they switch my academic advisor? and what would be some advice for me?I want to change my major from pre-med to a non-science major, what should I do?
Go see your academic advisor and ask him. Different schools have different protocols for switching majors. If you're switching to a non-science major you may have to apply to a different college in your university before you can switch. It might hurt your chances for getting into med school but not in an insurmountable way, as medical schools will accept people from all majors as long as they have taken the appropriate courses.I want to change my major from pre-med to a non-science major, what should I do?
I am doing a Pre-Med program as well. I also work in an ER as a CNA right now and I spoke to a couple of the doctors I work with about this same thing. All of them gave me pretty similar answers, basically they told me I could change my major, but don't plan on getting in to Med. School. If I were you I would stick with the course you are on, unless you don't have much interest in being a doctor.
It will be a challenge to be honest, and you have to be doubly sure you want to do this. Meet a counselor and discuss this. It depends on where you are studying. For example, in Open University it would may be a tough combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment