Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Change of major... music to pre-med??

I would absolutely love to go to an Ivy league, however, I'm not so sure I'd be able to get in on academics alone. I am very good at cello though. I actually go to Juilliard pre-college in nyc, which is very prestigious. I'm in NHS, I've won music competitions, and some other things. I have a 3.8 gpa, and although i did pretty terrible on the SAT (1780), it was the first time I took it, and I plan on doing a LOT of hard work practicing with books to get it up to a 2000 at least. I know my cello skills are far above average (not trying to sound conceited!) and I was just wondering how much Stanford or an ivy such as Cornell or Princeton weighs grades if I try out for music. I do also have a strong interest in science and I would ultimately love to become a doctor, or do something in the medical field. My most important question here is, would it be possible to switch to a pre-med focus (major in biology or something, cello as a minor) if i was accepted as a cello performance major?Change of major... music to pre-med??
There is no pre-med major. Pre-med is just a list of prerequisites that med school wants for application. You can choose whatever major you want, doesn't matter, as long as you complete 1 year of Biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, calculus, and English. Since many med school applicants have majored in Biology or bio related, a music major can work in your favor, especially with world renowned Julliard. A few of my classmates were music majors, and they got in just fine.Change of major... music to pre-med??
Pre med can be, but usually is not, a major. It basically consists of about 12 standard subject then can be done in any degree, even music. No advantage is conferred by majoring in obvious choices like biology etc. Indeed the AMA states they want to encourage non standard applicants so maybe music could confer a slight advantage.



Thanks

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment