Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I want to change my major but...?

Hello!

I'm now in my second year majoring in Business and I have not enjoyed most of its units, yeah most of them are logical but there no sense of challenge and excitement, no practical work... I am basically not passionate about this major, especially after failing many units..

I am now thinking of going into civil engineering (which is what my father studied), I am afraid that my father will get pissed off and disappointed because of this change in majors, I think he will be mostly angry because I've wasted two years of my life in this major

but I'll be 19 next month, so I'm not old or late for changing my major and most of my colleagues are over 20 and are in first year uni



I don't know what to do and how to confront him with this.. help!I want to change my major but...?
You asked two questions here:



1) Should I change my major and

2) How do I confront my father?



So, first things first, if you hate your major then there is a high chance you will hate your job. For your sanity and since failing courses can't be good for your self esteem, I would take some time and find out what you really love and then change directions. If there is a career center on your campus then I would pay them a visit and ask for a career inventory and some career counseling. They aren't perfect, but they can help.



Next, I would look over the courses I took and then make a quick list of what I liked and what I didn't. Try to stay away from things like ';I hated the homework...or the teacher wasn't good...'; what you're looking for is subjects such as ';I liked the calculations or I wasn't good in using the formulas here...etc...'; So, when you are finished and if you think that the engineering track is better for you then go for it! But there may be a different option and I believe you owe it to yourself to check it out, because there really is NO need for you to have to go to your father twice!!!



Now onto question two:

Here's the deal. Your life is your life. I know that's harsh, but the rea truth is that you have to be happy, or you'll resent him for what you perceive as his forcing you to complete a major you hate. (Now I know that may not be true...but I hope you get the point). The best ammunition you have is the ability to tell your father that this new major is exactly what you want......but he'll want to know if you're sure. (And I ask you, are you?) So, if you do your due diligence, you can have concrete proof and say ';Yes, I've done some research....I've looked up some information....I've checked this out and I know this is what I want...';



So, what if you change your mind? So what if you do! You're young (you said it yourself) So it's fine. He might get angry at you but it's not the end of the world. Just focus on what you need at this point and all the rest will fall into place. The bottom line is this: your father will get over his disappointment, but can you honestly accept a lifetime of career regret in place of the temporary discomfort you might feel at confronting him with your true feelings?



I truly hope your answer is no.I want to change my major but...?
Talk to your dad about it first, and explain to him that a lot of people change their majors. Also do some research and find out how many classes you've taken will apply to your civil engineering degree and talk to him about how far you'll be set back. The more ';grown up'; you approach him with it, the better he'll take it. Good luck!
Talk to him and open up your problem ok goodluck
Hi there!



First, I'd recommend really looking into civil engineering to make sure that is the path you'd be most happy/successful on. Once you're 100% sure prepare yourself for your talk with your father by being as informed as possible. I'm not sure if you are financially dependent upon him and this is one of the reasons for the concern over his reaction. If this is the case, he may have questions about the financial aspect of things, even if you aren't financially dependent upon him it is still a good idea to do a little research into the financial aspect of it all. I would say, over all, be prepared...you're an adult now. If you approach the situation as an adult, your father will have no choice but to treat you as an adult. Good luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment