Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Should I change my major?

I am kind of second-guessing my major. I really love my major- I'm a Fisheries and Wildlife student. However, the future of this job is kind of scaring me, unless I am just paranoid. I am thinking of working for an environmental or agricultural agency.



Lately, I've been stuck on the idea that I can only be happy by living in a city. I don't know if it's just a phase or not. I keep having this thought in the back of my mind of switching to journalism... it seems like there are plenty of jobs... in cities. And everywhere.



Think it's just a phase? If you were in my position, what would you do? I am satisfied with my major, just afraid of the future job prospects and how it's going to fit in with making me happy. Again, I don't know if it's a phase and if I will change my mind later (ex. wanting to live in the country in a few years.)



Ah, I don't know. Any help greatly appreciated!Should I change my major?
If you were a fisheries and wildlife worker in Las Vegas you would have a stable County job with amazing benefits and a pension. If you worked in journalism in Las Vegas you would probably have been laid off by now from a job that didn't pay that well to begin with, where your livelihood was based on car dealership advertising and you had rotten benefits.



If you started your career in science and decided you didn't want to do it anymore, you could literally walk into a newsroom and get a job. Depending on your expertise in environmental sciences, you could off the street start writing an article for a newspaper.



Could a journalist who covers car accidents and homicides walk into your field and start working. Unlikely.



After 20 years working in broadcast journalism, I've seen former professional soccer players, ballet dancers, accountants, cops and people who had no idea what they wanted to do with their lives create very successful careers in journalism.



I've seen many journalists leave their industry to become Public Relations professionals, truck drivers, actors, salespeople, real estate agents, because they thought they could do the job and do it better, only to fail and return to their former jobs as journalists.



I'm going on two years as a multi-media marketer after 20 years in news. My advice to you is, if you love your major, stick with it and you'll be surprised at the opportunities you'll find in big cities.



If you do some research you'll find scientists like you may become someday are responsible for saving the fish population in New York City's Hudson River.



I hope that helps!Should I change my major?
Think about your career goals first then select the major that helps you reach those goals. If you want to live in the city, look for careers that allow you to do that. Some failry major cities have parks, zoos, wildlife centers nearby so you could live near work and get to the city easily on weekends or for big events. OR you could live in the city and have a nice drive out to the country to work each day. Again, think of the job you want first because that will tell you which major you should pick.
Indeed there are not that many jobs for Fisheries and Wildlife officers. They exist but they are few and far between. I had an ex brother in law who trained for that and ended up as a city bus driver. But if you get in, it is a wonderful life.





But you have to think long and hard if any thing else you might switch to will have any better prospects.
It may be a phase. However, if you are serious, then DOUBLE MAJOR! Trust me, you will be glad you did. You will have fulfilled both curiosities, will always be able to do a fisheries and wildlife job if needed.

I switched from nursing to psych, and while I loved psych, I wish I had double majored. That way, I could always have that nursing degree to fall back on. Good luck, hon!
  • AJAX in .net
  • row cell
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment