Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Can I major in Psychology to become a Doctor?

I find Psychology very interesting! And I heard it's alot easier than majoring in Biology. I know I have to take the Pre-requisites to get into Medical school. Will majoring in Psychology be easier than Biology? because I heard it's a smooth program. And how will changing my major in Biology to Psychology affect how well I do in the MCAT? thanks!Can I major in Psychology to become a Doctor?
Any major is fine as long as you take the premed classes. The premed classes are the ones you need for the MCAT, so not doing a bio major shouldn't hurt you there.Can I major in Psychology to become a Doctor?
You can major in anything, so long as you complete your ';pre med'; checklist. I have one friend who has her degree in Psychology, who's currently working in Ohio, and another who's degree is in Communications who's an Emergecy Room Doc.
All majors are eligible for medical school, as long as you complete the pre-med courses and do well on the MCAT.



FYI, Psychology + Medical school + Psych residency = Psychiatrist
YES you're exactly right....Psychology will give you the advantage of gettin into MEd School I LITTLE BIT easier because you have an uncommon major comparable to the 81% of applicants whom have Biology/Chemistry degrees, 12% Nursing, and the remaining % is in the Liberal arts i.e. Psych, Enlgish, Sociology, ETC.



The MCAT is comprised of Physical Science (Math, General Chemistry, a little Organic Chem, Physics), Biologicl Sciences, Verbal Reasoning (like the SAT or ACT), and then Writing (Essay)....



AS far as MEdical School pre-reqs...they all require mainly the same ones: Introductory Biology (Intro Cell/Molecular and Intro Ecological), Physics, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Math (Pre-Calculus, Calculus, Statistics) and lastly your general education requirements but you should take these anyways with any major (English, Social Sciences, Speech etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment