Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Why am I like this? Am I normal or do I have a problem?

I have been in community college for almost three years. My plan was to be in community college only two yrs and then transfer. My major involves computers and I have stuck with it all of these yrs but somehow it seems like I belong somewhere else...but I don't have a clue as to what I want in life. I don't know what type of career I want. I'm 21 and it frustrates me that at this age I still don't know what I really want. I consider changing major but the ';new'; career I had in mind for me no longer appeals to me. In school I'm not doing well either. Since I started I have been procrasinating in almost all my courses. My grades are not what I would like them to be. I get mad at myself because sometimes I get this attitude of ';I don't care'; or '; I'll do it later';...how can I change this? Sometimes I think I suffer from depression because I honestly don't care about important things in my life, such as: school, my career, the future...my future.Why am I like this? Am I normal or do I have a problem?
You may be suffering from some depression, but the big problem is nothing unusual at all. It's quite common at your age to still be searching for what you want to do. I'd say start concentrating on general courses and subjects that interest you, without trying to work out a career just yet. As you take courses that interest you, you may find a career path that is right.Why am I like this? Am I normal or do I have a problem?
hmm, I know lots of people are in your same situation, so I'd say it is normal, but you might want to talk to a psychiatrist and they could see if perhaps you do have depression, which by the way, is nothing to be ashamed of, most people go through a stage of depression at least one time in their lives. Maybe reevaluate your life and see why you've stopped caring, perhaps it's time to try something new.
Someone sounds perhaps a bit depressed...


Talk to your doctor, rant to them about all of this, chances are that if you aren't depressed, which it sounds like you might possibly could be, atleast you'll feel better for a day or two maybe. Try counseling or over the next break take some you time, clear your mind, go someplace amazing, find the more inner you.


Best of luck
well i would say you are pretty normal. Most of us are to hard on ourselves. Its nice to have goals but you are young very young. You are still discovering things about life so you may end up with a career that you never even known about years before now. So you are all right just relaxing its okay that you don't know what you want to do and yes it feels a bit frustrated but once again its okay. Keep dreaming up ideas keep finding new things to explore you got your whole life a head of you.
It's best to talk to a professional, you can usually get free or discounted therapy through your school. if not look for someone who works on a sliding scale fee. You are in the perfect situation and age for depression to develop. Let it go untreated and you'll pay a heavy price in the future..
Take it easy...breathe! I suggest you go to a counselor in your college and discuss this with him or her. College is all about finding out what you want to do in life, so you should ask yourself what you're good at and what you really want in life. Don't look for a career which has more money, look for something that really interests you, and you'll look froward to in the morning.
I have my own demons to work through, but I just wanted to tell you that your question touched me and I wish there was something I could do for you.





Is there anyone you're close to that you can discuss your situation at length? Try not to dwell on your indecision. Try to complete whatever you're doing and later worry about the future.
Procrastination can consume a lifetime if your not careful.Seek the help of a college councilor,maybe you just need to change your direction in class subjects.Good luck.
You do sound as though you are suffering from a bit of depression.


First of all, go to your doctor and explain everything you have written on here and ask him/her if you are going thru a depressive state. As soon as you get on some meds or sometimes just talking it out with someone that understands, you feel better about yourself and life in general.


Most young adults go thru the same thing but won't admit they have a problem with life changes.


You are only 21.... Don't take everything so serious; getting angry with yourself will only make you more discouraged.


Best of luck to you and make that appointment ASAP.


BTY, alot of times, you just need a change of scenery.
This sounds like me.Maybe you should quit everything for a while and just thing what you want to do
It's normal....to be lazy. That sounds harsh, but I don't mean it to be.





We all have those days, weeks, years...etc. where we want to shrug it off...save it for later, but at 21 how much later do you have, college is almost over for you.





When it comes to doing homework or studying, put off the party...there will be many many more, sit down with yourself and say okay ';I know if I put this off my grade will be___and I will be____at myself for it'; if the blanks are negative, then do something about it. Sit down with a drink you love or your moms homemade cookies, NO MUSIC, NO CELL, NO TELEVISON, NO DISTRACTIONS and just DO IT.





By not putting the things you HAVE to do off you will end up with more time to do the things you WANT to do, and you will have more fun doing them...because you won't be stressing about what you still need to do when you slump back to your bedroom.





Think about the consenquences before you make the choice, weight the outcomes...you will find that just finishing the term paper is much easier than worrying about it for a week and then ';getting by'; with a D.





College is the time to figure your future out, but hey, if the current one doesn't appeal, wait, but while you wait and put your new life skills to work, be on the lookout for new majors, ask around with other students, talk to the proffesors, buy a college prep book...figure out what your future will be by figuring out what you are passionate about.





Trust me, it is normal to do these things...but that is NO escuse. In the end the only person you will be hurting is yourself.





Hope this helps, stay strong, and be open to new ideas...you'll be surprised what can bite you when your not looking....like a new major.
perhaps school isn't for you. secondary education is not for everyone, nor, despite how authority tries to scare everyone, is it required for every job out there.





but to answer your question differently, i get in that kind of mood when i feel like i'm not in control of my own life. when i feel that i'm doing too many things because it's what i'm 'supposed' to do rather than what i really want to do.





the tough thing is that at this age, what you really want to do can be a very fluid concept, which makes it hard to do whatever kind of preparation is necessary for a job in that field.





after three years in community college, you must have almost all the general ed classes knocked out and should be able to transfer into almost any program and start taking core classes. only you can pick what kind of program that will be though. if you need help, schedule some sessions with your college's career counselor.





if you think you're depressed, make a second appointment for a mental health counselor. one should be available through your school.





it may help light a fire under you (regarding saving your grades in the classes you're already in) to think of it in terms of this: you are all that you have. no one is going to save you but yourself. so working hard and getting stuff done is an act of love to yourself and to your future self. quite simply, you must find the determination to make it happen.





but you may have to hit rock bottom to find that renewed sense of determination.
You're still so young though. I can relate because I'm only 19 and I just finished my first year of college. It's hard because you're going through a change. A lot of times, doctors will diagnose normal stress patterns as depression. But it's human nature to change and you wouldn't change if you didn't have learning experiences and learning experiences cause stress. Big time.





At this point in your life, the stress is going to have the most impact because you're not established yet. You're not where you want to be. You are clearly worried about your future if this bothers you so much. So that in itself is a good start.





Also, if there's anything I've learned it's that almost NO ONE sticks with their original major and most don't graduate as early as they had originally intended. You could get a basic Associate's degree and go on to get your Bachelor's at a university. But I do think you should change majors, and just keep going until you get to where you think you want to be. Take some career aptitude tests, think about your interests, what you're good at. And I know that sounds cheesy but it's what I hear everday. I figure it might actually be useful.





Don't think you're alone. Most of our generation struggles with their identity at young ages and always wish for something different. Find what you like, do it, and your grades will improve if you're enthusiastic about it. The reason they aren't what you want them to be is because you're not liking the subject material.





I think you're going to do great. Find something you love and do it. You're your own best accelerator and worst obstacle. You just have to learn to overcome yourself.





Good luck with everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment