Tuesday, September 13, 2011

How Did You Know It Was Time To Change Your College Major?

I'm only 1 quarter into my beginning programming class and I'm starting to question whether or not I want to go on to be a Computer Programmer anymore. Right now I've somewhere along the lines of a C. This is my very first programming class though.



I figured this would be the career for me since you work by yourself with computers all day long and you don't have to deal with the public's bull-$hit. (I'm not much of a people person)



It was pretty interesting when we first started out with and I thought I had a pretty good understanding of everything... Whenever I ask my teacher for help, he kind of makes me feel stupid about it. Don't get me wrong, he's a nice guy and everything but yeah...



So anyway, how did you know it was time to change your major? What did you change it to and why?



(I'm reposting this because I only got 1 answer when I posted it under Primary %26amp; Secondary Education)How Did You Know It Was Time To Change Your College Major?
I wouldn't give up on it just yet, since this is only one class. One thing you can do, though, is sign up for a wider variety of classes next semester. Take whatever classes you can outside of your major, in order to try a number of different things. Maybe do some research into other majors your school offers, to see if anything appeals to you more. That way, you don't have to give up and drop your major without any other path to follow. If you do find something else you like or are excited about exploring further, that might be a good time to switch majors. Don't be afraid to talk to your academic adviser, either, and ask for any advice, since that's what they're there for.



I came into college undecided and I took a number of classes in all different topics. I didn't actually pick a major until sophomore year, because at that point, I was definitely sure I enjoyed my English classes more than any of the others. A friend of mine entered college as a psychology major. After taking some psych classes and some drama classes in her first semester, she realized she had no interest in psychology and wanted to study drama instead, so she switched in her second semester.



There's no ';right answer'; about when to switch. It really will depend on you and what you discover about yourself, and when you discover it. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment