Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I am thinking of changing my major to Photography/Wildlife photography. Do i not have enough experince?

I am a sophmore in college without a major. I havent taken any photography classes and dont even own a camera. I think i may try to take a class to see how i like it. If i choose photography to be my major, do you think i am to old to catch up to everyone else?I am thinking of changing my major to Photography/Wildlife photography. Do i not have enough experince?
George Lepp is one of the most well known wildlife photographers who also teaches the subject.



I say this because when I was at the University, I was always complaining that I wasn't learning anything about my major (TV and Film). My adviser asked me a simple question. Are you here to learn or get your degree? I said both and she told me that I would end up being disappointed and probably get neither.



She told me that I could always learn at seminars, workshops and ';trade' schools. College was academic and training you in a skill was not their job.



Take all the photo courses you can whether art or photojournalism or what ever other courses they have where you can learn how to use your eye and camera in harmony. All the professional skills will most likely come from a different source like ASMP or other professional organization.



So that said, here is a link to George.I am thinking of changing my major to Photography/Wildlife photography. Do i not have enough experince?
i would say to take the class and see how you do in it. if you dont fal behind everyone else in the class then you should be fine.



photography is about creativity as well as technique. as long as you have the mind to do it, then you should be ok.



you might want to try to play catch up at the beginning, just to learn how to develop them and maybe mess around with different digital techniques just to get you ready.
It isn't really a matter of being too old. You need to know that the field is VERY tough to get into (professionally) and make an actual living in after you graduate. Very few people end up working for National Geographic (or even seeing their work in its pages). You might want to minor in this (or just use it as a lifelong hobby). It's not impossible, but really tough to make this your career and not starve in the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment